Connecting a Roku to WiFi is actually half the job done in the setup. When you set up the Roku device, you must ensure three things. One, you establish a connection between the TV and the Roku device. Two, you connect Roku and the TV to power. And three, and the most important part, you connect Roku to a wireless internet service provider.
If it is just a Roku device, and not a Roku Streaming Stick, you also have the option to connect the device to the internet via a wired connection. But, connecting a Roku Streaming Stick to the internet is only possible via a WiFi router. But, how to connect Roku to WiFi without remote?
Because when you have a Roku Streaming Stick or a Roku Streaming Stick plus, you have an option to carry it with you to any place you go and you can very well connect to the WiFi in the hostel network or the dorm network.
So, how do I do this?
Roku remembers your network settings!
Yes! Gladly, Roku remembers the network that you connected it previously to. So, as long as you have a couple of mobile devices with you, and you remember the name and password of the network your Roku device was previously connected to, then you have the answer for the question how to connect Roku to WiFi without remote.
- Go to your Settings.
- In there, go to the Hotspot settings.
- Turn the hotspot on.
- You will get a notification that will tell you that turning on the hotspot means that you share your internet with any device that’s connected to the phone. Accept the popup, and continue to the settings.
- Please go to the name of the device in the hotspot settings.
- Change the name of the hotspot device to the name of the router that your Roku was previously connected to.
- Change the password to the same old password as well, the one that the other router used.
- Now, you have an internet connection the Roku device will automatically connect to, on startup.
Roku mobile application
A perfect substitute for Roku remote.
Even if you work around the internet connectivity constraint and trick Roku into connecting itself into your mobile hotspot by changing the name of the connection and the password to the previous self, you will have to control the Roku device.
To do this, you will have to replace the remotes with a mobile device, with Roku mobile application installed. So, please download the Roku application on to your mobile device. Roku has a native application for both Android and iOS users, so you can download the application on both App Store and Play Store.
Once you download the application, you will have to log in to your Roku account. After this, you will see the Roku application home screen, where you will see a remote symbol on the right bottom of the application.
Please click on that to open the virtual remote on the application. The virtual remote is almost similar to the physical remote, so you can use it as a replacement. Now, you can use these two phones, one as the hotspot and one as the remote. This is how to connect Roku to WiFi without remote.